Hello! We're Photojojo, and we're on a mission to make photography more fun for everyone.
We're looking for a full-time Full Stack Web Engineer in San Francisco, CA. (relocation assistance available)
We run the most fun online shop you've seen, wrote a book with Random House ( on Amazon :D), have a not-so-small army of adoring fans, and we've been in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Wired, on Good Morning America, ABC and NBC News, and lots more.
We're a (small) company with big dreams and big heart. We're seven years old, we're profitable (whoa!), growing, and have a unique model that combines publishing and e-commerce.
We believe in hard work, and we believe work should be fun. (We even take the whole company on 2-3 week "workcations" each year! In 2011 we took the company to India, in 2012 we went to Mexico!, this year we went to Thailand!)
We're building to last and our customers love us.
What you'll be doing
You'll be working on our homegrown e-commerce platform, running the gamut from backend business functions (warehouse integration, inventory prediction algorithms, customer support features, etc.) to slick front-end floursishes (go here, click the lever).
We want you to be active in determining our product direction and are eager to have you work in and learn from different areas of our business.
Most of all, we want you to make our baby your baby; not in the child adoption sense, but in the you-love-this-stuff-as-much-as-we-do-and-can't-not-think-about-it sense.
*BONUS!* We're working on a new project called Photojojo University. You'll get to contribute to both.
You're entrepreneurial, eager to make things happen, and want to work with smart people who respect what you do. Great ideas and strong opinions welcome!
You love to write beautiful code, desire to grow and improve your skills, and enjoy learning new technologies.
You've got at least 3-5 years of experience building for the web, but you still lay awake thinking about this stuff just like you did when you started.
People really really like working with you.
- Know & love PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, JS & jQuery
(our codebase is in PHP, but we're open to new languages)
- Have at least 3-5 years of web development experience,
working on larger projects and within a team
- Know when to make it good enough, when to make it great, and when to make it perfect
- Have experience with OOP
- Possess boundless enthusiasm and attention to detail
- Love photography and Photojojo!
Nice to have...
- Spent time with a MVC framework (Laravel, Symfony, Zend)
- Familiarity with version control (we love Github)
- Knowledge of performance best practices
(CDN, SQL optimization, caching, etc.)
- Experience with e-commerce and A/B testing
- Deep and abiding love for data and analysis
- Comfortable with basic Apache/Linux administration
We're located in the Mission District in San Francisco and are seeking someone local or someone who wants to be local. (We can help with moving expenses.)
We have lots of sit-stand desks, Apple 27" displays, roof access, and fruit delivery. You'll get to pick out your own computer, and our office is bike-friendly, dog-friendly, and dinosaur-friendly.
How to Apply
Write us and tell us all about yourself!
We'd love to hear about:
- Projects you've worked on & the problems you solved on each.
- Why this is your ideal job and why we must hire you.
- What features/products you think we should build.
- Your social media links
- What we should have asked, but didn't.
Send it all here: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you sound like a good fit, we'll be in touch lickity-split!
p.s. Apply soon. We're eager to meet you! :)
- Thrive on responsibility and freedom?
- Live to make well-crafted things?
- Delight in solving problems?
- Get shit done?
- Have so much follow-through it's borderline stalkerish?
Why this is rad!
- You'll have real responsibility and freedom to architect code and implement your ideas.
- Our work has been featured in UX books, FOWA keynotes and 37 Signals' blog. People will see what you build.
- You'll work on a small team with one other full stack engineer, one front-end designer, and with frequent contact with our founder, who has a technical background.
- You'll learn about all areas of our company. From marketing and customer service, to fulfillment and operations.
- We believe in getting stuff done, not in facetime. We support work-from-home and an open vacation policy.
- We've been in business for seven years. We're not a fly-by-night startup.
- We hire carefully. You're gonna love your coworkers.